It's always a GREAT time for more moisture in our hair and our skin! Enter Shea Butter aka Wonder Butter. With roots in West Africa, Shea butter is a fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree and in it's unrefined state is ivory/off-white in color.
Shea butter has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties and is a wonderful all-natural moisturizer for skin and hair. This is key especially during the winter months.
- You can use shea as a twisting butter or even to oil your scalp by itself or mixed with your favorite oils. Be sure to keep sleep on a satin pillowcase or with a sleepcap to retain that moisture in your curls.
- Most beauty products have shea as an ingredient because of all it's amazing properties but you can whip up your own shea hair and body butter at home! Keep reading to find out more.
- Shea butter can also be used to soothe burns, prevent stretch marks, relieve muscle soreness and also helps with sun protection. It's a wonder butter indeed!
Make your own Shea Butter Body & Hair Cream at Home. This is a great Mother-Daughter bonding activity!
Fun fact - Zoe (our 9 year old girlboss) actually edited this video!
3 cups Unrefined Shea Butter
1.5 cups Sweet Almond Oil (You can also use Jojoba, Coconut or other oil of choice and feel free to add another 1/2 cup if you choose.)
Essential Oils of Choice
3 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (optional)
How to Make it
1. Melt the Shea Butter by steaming over the stove...stirring occasionally until it is completely melted.
1b. Some people think the shea butter mix can feel a bit greasy on their skin. You can use arrowroot powder as a remedy for this but it is optional. Mix into the Almond Oil in a separate bowl.
2. Add Almond Oil into the bowl with Shea Butter
3. Cover and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Bring it out, Add drops of your favorite essential oils and whip with hand mixer until you achieve silk-like consistency.
Store in clean jars and enjoy!
The last time Zoe made this, we used a blend of Ylang Ylang, Patchouli and Orange essential oils (called a harmony blend) that we picked up from GNC. It smelled heavenly. You can use any scent you enjoy - Lavender and Peppermint are some popular ones.